Thursday, October 11, 2007

Switzerland

Padre (R. Hulett) did various versions of this Swiss scene over the years. It was one of my favorite paintings, probably because Switzerland is one of my favorite countries (I lived there for six months in my long-ago youth.) This is a rendering in oil of the terraced slopes of Lake Geneva, circa 1956. (His original field painting was a watercolor...)

Geneva #1
Click on the thumbnails for a larger image

"Along the shore of Lake Geneva in Switzerland, I came upon this striking scene. The Swiss Alps, looming up in the background, made an effective foil for the autumn color of the grape vineyards which seemed to climb to the sky. The medieval village appeared to be huddling along the shore of the lake for protection against the huge mountains in the background..."

Geneva #2

"The breakdown shown above and belowwill give you an idea of the development of this composition. This painting was done entirely with a painting knife."

-- Ralph Hulett

Geneva #3

I recall being fond of the watercolor version. Wish I knew where that one was...

0 comments:

Site Meter